Sunday, May 14, 2006

Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!

Thought this was a laugh - we had a networked laptop suddenly stop seeing the Internet (that wasn't funny and still isn't but the laptop isn't the point) and one went Googling to try to find answers.

"This connection has limited or no connectivity," said Windows XP, "Cannot renew IP address." So one Googled away and turned up, among the many other people who have fretted the meaning behind those phrases, one KevinD81.

Young Kev, it appears, was a student at Genesee Community College at Batavia in New York, and still maintains a home page there. Let him tell you a little about himself:

I'm a 24-year-old grad student from Batavia, NY. I'm currently pursuing a MA in English at UB. In Spring 2003, I graduated from Geneseo. I majored in English, minored in computer science and worked as a copy editor on the college paper, The Lamron, where I made a lot of great friendships and memories. From July '03 to June '04 I worked as a reporter and copy editor for a small local paper and this summer became a correspondent with my hometown Daily News. Currently, I work as a Graduate Assistant with News Services at UB reporting on campus events for The Reporter. As far as my interests are concerned, I like books and movies an inordinate amount and I enjoy hanging out with my friends whenever I get the chance--some of whom appear in the image below! If you want to know more about me I suggest reading my LiveJournal!
Despite recently posting this:

Conan! Sondheim! Oh my!

Friday night Josh and I went to a musical version of “Clue” (yes, the board game) at GCC. He called about it about 20 minutes before the show started, so it was a bit of a whirlwind to get out the door in time... Saturday. Who did I see perform? Just CONAN O’BRIEN, that’s who!
Kevin appears to be heterosexual, he likes a range of progressive music, asks a lot of questions on the web about computers, is registered as an editor of Wikipedia and is a Democrat.

He is also, apparently, a thief.

Here's part of what he posted to a computer users group in August 2004:

kevind8108-22-2004, 09:05 AM
...I was accessing the Internet thru someone else's wireless connection last night, but then suddenly around 4 a.m. (and still this morning) I can no longer get online thru the connection. I get a message that says I have "limited or no connectivity" and when I try and repair the problem it says "cannot complete the following action: Renewing your IP address" Does this mean the other computer has blocked me somehow, or that it's simply shut off (though if the computer with the wireless broadcaster was off, it wouldn't pop up when I searched for connections yet, right?)

I am running Win XP SP2 and am using its connection software. Thanks for the help! I am new to this!

PS: If I am being blocked, is there a way to get around it?
The other users told Kev what to do pretty quickly:

Either you are a troll, or just not aware of what is legal and what isn't.
The Post Scriptum in your post makes me think the first option is correct, and in that case, go fornicate yourself.

On the off-chance that you just aren't aware that you are committing a felony, I'd advise you to read this post (http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?p=73366#post73366) , and then read
this post (http://www.netstumbler.org/showthread.php?p=87409#post87409) afterwards.
and

If you are being blocked chances they found you leeching and corrected the problem. The way to get around it is pay for your own access.


Then:

beakmyn11-16-2004, 05:13 AM
kevind81
kevind81@hotmail.com

209.222.244.132. The host name is: ip132.cesium.dial.bluefrog.com.

It appears that this thief was using a Road Runner account in Rochester, NY based on his initial registration. Details available for appropriate LE agencies.

Ooh, a local boy. I've got my pitchfork and club I'm going Troll hunting!

BTW, here bluefrog is cheap local dialup account so that's less then fruitful but the RoadRunner IP stays for quite some time.

[edit] The internet is a wonderful thing:
Google for kevind81 (http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=kevind81) Pictures too. Coincendence? I think not.

little pervert! Newsgroup post (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=HGDb7.171%24m5.180898%40newsfeed1.thebiz.n et&rnum=8&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dkevind81%2540hotmail.com%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg)
Ah, justice is swift and sure on the Internet but it is uncertain whather any of this touches young Kev. The on-line test he took that described him as an Old School Democrat noted:

The Democratic ideal is best summarized by the Four Freedoms: freedom of speech, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.
And free Internet access too, it appears.

Ah, Kev! You're surely on your way to a golden career in America's mainstream media.

-- Nick

No comments: