Sunday, July 23, 2006

Winger Flies High

Disgraced rugby player Wendell Sailor opens his heart to The Sunday Mail:

WENDELL Sailor will head overseas to resurrect his rugby career when he finishes a two-year doping ban he described as "grossly unfair".
Why is it grossly unfair?

Well, one really never gets to read the answer to that question as the mutual love-in allows Sailor to skirt around issue of personal responsibility.

I'm no drug cheat - is the headline. Well I suppose cocaine is not the most commonly used performance enhancing drug.

But the real intersting part of Sailor's interview is here where he doesn't deny that he is a drug user but denies that he is a druggie.

"One thing I want to make clear is that I do not have a drug problem. I know I'm not a druggie. It's been hard to explain to my family, but people close to me know I've been plain stupid.

"If I had a problem, I would have done something about it. I would have got some help and got counselling. At no stage have I needed that."
Well denial makes it difficult to get treatment doesn't it?

Elvis never admitted he was a druggie either, because he never injected and the drugs were all prescribed. It doesn't take long for someone with a problem to make justifications for their actions.

Perhaps there is hope for Sailor, but not before he loses his ego and admits he's hit bottom.

-- Nora

No comments: